Garlic is one of the most popular medicinal vegetables. Despite its strong and for some people unpleasant smell, garlic since a long time been used as a health food, but also as a medicine. Even the builders of the Egyptian pyramids and Roman legionnaires received garlic daily to preserve their strength and health. Lets see more facts about the healthiest vegetable.
Scientist Louis Pasteur in the year 1858 confirmed that garlic has antibacterial properties and has been applied as a natural remedy against infection, before the invention of antibiotics.
Garlic contains over 200 biologically active compounds, and many of them are important in the prevention of many diseases. For example, the substance allicin, which contains garlic, has antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal action.
In addition, garlic is rich in minerals, calcium, sulfur, phosphorus, iron, carbohydrates, sulfur essential oils, nitrogenous substances, ferments and vitamins: A, C, and vitamin B group (B1, B2, niacin, etc.).
Garlic is an antioxidant because it is rich in sulfur-containing amino acids. As the most popular vegetable balmy traditional medicine, garlic in the second half of the last century became the object of numerous scientific studies. These studies have confirmed his comprehensive curative. Results from a large clinical study, which examined 50 000 women from Iowa (USA), aged 55 to 65 years, have shown that garlic is a vegetable which protects against colon cancer.
Garlic also reduces cholesterol in the blood, and thus prevents the occurrence of atherosclerosis of the blood vessels.
"Garlic prevents the occurrence of blood clots, which is probably a much safer way of prevention, rather than daily taking aspirin, which can lead to bleeding in the stomach," says Dr. Patrick Holford, founder of the Institute of optimum Nutrition London.
Examining the reasons for the longevity of the inhabitants of the Italian village of Campo di Mele, which is located 130 km south of Rome, the World Health Organization experts have concluded that the structure of the diet of these people is the main reason for their longevity. Namely, it was determined that the inhabitants of this village eat a lot of bread from whole grains, as well as a lot of garlic and onion, goat's milk and cheese, beans ...
Compounds in garlic that act positively on our health and help us in certain diseases:
- Adenosine from garlic inhibits blood clotting.
- Organic components of garlic that contain sulfur lower the cholesterol and act preventively on malignant diseases. Thus, in professional journals Journal of National Cancer Institute and Carcinogenesis published results of scientific research that confirmed the anti cancerogenic effect of garlic
- Amino acids of garlic reduces "bad" cholesterol (LDL) in plasma, and increase the concentration of "good" cholesterol (HDL) and triglycerides, even when eating a lot of fatty foods
- Its positive impact on the expansion of blood vessels is confirmed, especially in the peripheral blood vessels, so often use is effective for headaches, painful cramps in the calves, which often occur in the elderly after a short walk.
- Leads to lower blood pressure by 5% to 10%
- Normalizes the accelerated heart operations, improves the operation of the heart vessels and blood supply to the heart muscle, which leads to improvement of cardiac function and reduce the propensity to thrombosis.
- Act of holding the elasticity of blood vessels and reducing blood viscosity.
- Improves digestion and gastric work, stimulate liver work, kidney and prostate
- Helps in the treatment of various diseases of the lungs, and is extremely effective for the treatment of influenza and bronchitis
- White Garlic has long been used for the disposal of children's worms
- Proven positive effects of garlic in infections with herpes viruses and yeast fungus (Candida albicans).